Today we’re here to look at 15 amazing facts about Android which most of the android users did not know.
- Google did not create Android, they bought the company in 2005
- Originally the Android OS wasn’t designed for the smartphone market; it was actually developed as a digital camera platform.
- In November 2007, Google launched the Linux-based software system – Android OS.
- Google has statues outside its HQ for each version of the Android OS
- The first Android prototype looked a lot like a Blackberry
- The word ‘Android’ means a human with a male robot appearance.
- Android’s logo isn’t actually called Android, Google unofficially call him Bugdroid.
- Android releases are alphabetical; Astro, Bender, Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop,Marshmallow and Nougat.
- Android is available in around 46 languages, this also means apps can be produced in different languages to cover a wider audience.
- NASA even uses Android. They sent 2 Nexus S handsets running Android Gingerbread into space to test their sensors in orbit aboard the International Space Station.
- As all Android users know, most apps are usually free but the average price seems to be just $0.06.
- The very first Android phone from 2008 had no headphone jack and required an adapter
- It controls 88% of the world smartphone market
- Android’s app store “Google Play” has over 48 billion app installs.
- Android is actually open-source which means that individuals have the option to modify source code of the OS and manufacturers can add features.
But I’m sure these facts were just as interesting and fun for you too!