We’re looking for a Software Engineer to help us shape the future of education. With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world’s leading education technology company with the industry’s most comprehensive student-success solutions. Our mission is to partner with the global education community to enable student and institutional success by leveraging innovative technologies and services.
This role focuses on Cashnet, a Blackboard company, which offers colleges and universities one comprehensive platform to manage the campus payment experience. Cashnet provides secure transaction services to over 700 campuses in Higher Education, reaching 5 million students nationwide. The robust suite of solutions rests on a PCI-compliant platform that is seamlessly integrated to adapt to the most challenging Higher Ed environments.
As a member of our Product Development team, you’ll work in an agile environment delivering industry-leading SaaS products and web service platforms. You’ll be deeply involved in translating wireframes and sketches into working prototypes to refine user interface behaviors.
As Software Engineer on this team, you will develop our next generation responsive user web applications and back end APIs using the latest technology stacks, architecture patterns, and cloud computing environments. You’ll play an integral role in the success of the product delivery, quality, and continuous enhancement. Additional responsibilities will include:
- Working with UX Designers, Technical Analysts, Product Owners, and Project Managers to understand, design, and develop exceptional user experience and back end APIs
- Analyzing problems and implementing solutions that trade off architectural constraints of functionality, usability, performance, reliability, and scalability
- Writing and modifying web applications in a high-volume, cloud-based transaction processing environment
- Designing and implementing modern web-based user interfaces using best practices to support new functionality
- Working with other developers to create and consume RESTful APIs to support the web UI
- Programming and executing unit test cases in a TDD methodology
- Supporting application during quality assurance, user acceptance testing, and post release
- Complying with and contributing to consistent development guidelines (coding, change control, build, versioning)
- Participating in peer code reviews
- Mentoring other developers and contributing to a collaborative learning environment
- Has light experience in software development with a focus on C#, .NET API development, and responsive Web UI development using SPA frameworks such as Angular, React, or Ember
- Has real-world project experience working on Angular 2 and Typescript
- Has light experience writing server-side APIs
- Has a working knowledge of SQL Server and relational databases
- Is experienced with consuming REST APIs
- Understands responsive design and building apps for multiple devices and form factors
- Has light experience with one or more web servers for development and operations including IIS, NodeJS, and Tomcat
- Understands the software development lifecycle for continuous delivery of web applications to the cloud
- Is familiar with test driven development methodology
- Has light experience with one or more source control applications such as Git, Team Foundation Server, Subversion, Perforce, or other SCC application
- Has light experience with one or more defect tracking applications
- Has light experience in Agile methodologies such as Scrum
- Is extremely motivated, self-directed, and team-oriented
- Has excellent analytical, problem-solving, and planning skills
- Can understand technical requirements and decompose them into work tasks
- Is fluent in written and spoken English
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or engineering is preferred
- Experience developing applications for Windows Azure or Amazon AWS for large-scale, multi-tenant, transactional enterprise systems is a plus
- A desire to learn and use new technologies is beneficial
The Team & Office:
Blackboard has an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Easy drive to Marina Beach along the Bay of Bengal
- Kapaleeshwarar Templ, and DakshinaChitra museum nearby
- Accessible via the Rattha Tech Tower, Kumaran Kudi, and D. B. Jain College bus stations
- Office provides lunch Tuesday-Thursday, and there are several nearby places to grab a bite to eat including Ghuma Ghumalu Restaurant, Sangeetha Veg Restaurant, and 747 Themed Restaurant
- Library, game room, and quiet room perfect for taking work breaks
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, protected military/veteran status, or any other protected factor.