Business Unit Description:
EAI Stability Engineering focuses on the engineering and maturation of EAI-owned cloud services and assisting with long-term resolution of stability issues encountered across the current portfolio of EAI systems and services.
Stability Engineering is seeking a Database Engineer with extensive experience in AWS Cloud. The Cloud Database Engineer role will focus on architecture, design, implementation of data solutions for applications designated for deployment to AWS and other Cloud providers. The role will require that the individual be familiar with current and emerging Database/Warehouse technologies, tools and system architectures. The position will include developing automation, baselines, best practices and standards for the migration of existing “on premises” applications and databases, and deployment of custom developed applications to the Cloud.
- Contribute to Cloud strategy discussions and decisions on overall Cloud design and best approach for implementing Cloud solutions.
- Define best practices around migrating applications and required Databases to AWS and other Cloud providers.
- Develop standards and procedures for all aspects of Database/Warehouses in the Cloud.
- Identify system enhancement and automation opportunities for installing/maintaining database technologies, building, deploying and monitoring applications as well as alerting and remediating system outages.
- Provide installation, configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting support for database application software both on premises and in the Cloud.
- Work closely with other infrastructure teams to deliver new environments and resolve problems related to existing infrastructure.
- Design, test and support solutions for Disaster Recovery on premises and in the Cloud
- Support for the adoption of DevSecOps methodology and Agile project management
- Diagram and document database Cloud implementations.
- Provide mentoring, knowledge transfer and assist in training for other members of the database team.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Strong knowledge of AWS Cloud environment
- Requires in-depth, hands-on expertise in database platforms, preferably PostgreSQL
- Hands-on expertise with Linux operating system environments
- Requires general knowledge and hands-on experience in all database disciplines, including logical and physical database design, database implementation, access optimization, security, storage management, system and application performance management, and database systems administration.
- Knowledge of database internals, data dictionary, SQL coding, backup & recovery concepts, database security and monitoring
- Strong knowledge of AWS Identity Access Management (IAM)
- Ability to write scripts (Python, Perl, shell scripts, PHP) for automation of database builds and deployments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills along with and ability to communicate at all levels of the organization
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Experience with provisioning and configuration tools like AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef and Puppet a plus
- Experience with Docker containers a plus
- Knowledge and experience with Oracle database a plus
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in database administration required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with AWS Cloud databases
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with Masters or equivalent experience