Business Unit: Information Technology
Department: IT Architecture
Job Title: Lead Software Engineer
Corporate Title: Senior Associate
FLSA Code: Exempt
Job Family: Information Technology
Business Unit Description:
The Information Technology group delivers secure, reliable technology solutions that enable DTCC to be the trusted infrastructure of the global capital markets. The team delivers high-quality information through activities that include development of essential, building infrastructure capabilities to meet client needs and implementing data standards and governance.
Application development delivers solutions that respond to the business needs of the global capital markets with quality, efficiency, and excellence, using innovative technologies and providing secure information management.
Provides technical expertise and may coordinate some day to day deliverables for a team. Assists in the technical design of large business systems; builds applications, interfaces between applications, understands data security, retention, and recovery. Can research technologies independently and recommend appropriate solutions. Contributes to technology-specific best practices & standards; contributes to success criteria from design through deployment, including, reliability, cost-effectiveness, performance, data integrity, maintainability, reuse, extensibility, usability and scalability; contributes expertise on significant application components, vendor products, program languages, databases, operating systems, etc., and guides less experienced staff during the build and test phases.
The incumbent applies a deep technical knowledge in order to design and construct critical systems. May contribute from the early stages of an initiative, working with the business, Functional Architects, and subject matter experts on related systems, or may be contribute during the design phase to work on specific components. This involves working with the Senior Software Engineer, and other technical contributors at all levels, to make well-informed technology recommendations. This position contributes expertise to project teams through all phases, including post-deployment support. This means researching specific technologies, and applications, participating in application design, supporting development teams, testing, troubleshooting, and production support. The TLSE must possess strong communication skills and be able to earn the respect of a software engineering team and influence the team in technical design and implementation. This position requires working closely with the functional and governance functions, and more senior technical resources, reviewing technical designs and specifications, and contributing to cost estimates and schedules.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Technology Expertise – is a subject matter expert on one or more of programming languages, vendor products, DTCC applications, data structures, business lines
- Platforms – works with Infrastructure partners to stand up development, testing, and production environments
- Requirements Elaboration – works with the Functional Architect to ensure designs satisfy functional requirements
- Data Modeling – reviews and extends data models
- Is aware of frameworks – that promote concepts of isolation, extensibility, and extendibility
- System Performance – contributes to solutions that satisfy performance requirements; constructs test cases and strategies that account for performance requirements; tunes application performance issues
- Security – implements solutions and executes test plans working mentoring other team members in best practice
- Standards – is aware of technology standards and understands technical solutions need to be consistent with them
- Documentation – develops and maintains system documentation
Is familiar with different software development methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, Scrum, Kanban)
- Effectively manages individual and team performance, maintaining high standards for team members
- Supports team in managing client expectations and resolving issues on time
- Ability to effectively lead global and distributed development teams and collaborate with cross-functional teams
Leadership Competencies for this level include:
- Accountability: Demonstrates reliability by taking necessary actions to continuously meet required deadlines and goals.
- Global Collaboration: Applies global perspective when working within a team by being aware of own style and ensuring all relevant parties are involved in key team tasks and decisions.
- Communication: Articulates information clearly and presents information effectively and confidently when working with others.
- Influencing: Convinces others by making a strong case, bringing others along to their viewpoint; maintains strong, trusting relationships while at the same time is comfortable challenging ideas.
- Innovation and Creativity: Thinks boldly and out of the box, generates new ideas and processes, and confidently pursues challenges as new avenues of opportunity.
- 7-12 years of related experience minimum
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with Masters or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the design & implementation of distributed applications
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in hands-on production administration of large systems environment
- Ability to do low level debugging and problem analysis by examining logs and running Linux commands
- Good knowledge of AWS cloud environment
- Knowledge of AWS cloud monitoring tools (cloud watch, cloud trail, splunk, and other application monitoring.)
- Knowledge of AWS Identity Access Management (IAM)
- Must be comfortable working in an open, highly collaborative team
- Full stack software development experience, with strong troubleshooting skills
- In-depth, hands-on expertise in Bash, MySQL, and Linux
- Ability to write scripts (Bash, Python, etc.) for automation of solution resiliency validation and verification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills along with and ability to communicate at all levels.
- Experience with provisioning and configuration tools like AWS Cloud Formation/Terraform a plus
- Chaos engineering experience a huge plus.
With over 40 years of experience, DTCC is the premier post-trade market infrastructure for the global financial services industry. From operating facilities and data centers around the world, DTCC automates, centralizes, and standardizes the processing of financial transactions across the trade lifecycle and mitigates risk for thousands of institutions worldwide.
At DTCC we value on our clients’ interests and partner to deliver superior results with excellence and innovation and lead with integrity. We proactively develop your potential and invest in your career.